CMTOOL: Competency Management Tool
CMTOOL (Competence Management Tool) is a project developed for the European Space Operations Center (ESA-ESOC), as a pilot project inside ESA Knowledge Management Program, to get an immediate view of the competencies level of the staff, allowing to establish the necessary training plans for the future projects, programs and missions that the Agency has planned.
The tool implements a full process of competencies management, starting from the skills definition which are internally used, gathering and revising the level of expertise. These are the followed steps:
- Initially a competencies structure is defined, based on a three levels taxonomy: Knowledge Domains, Knowledge Areas and Knowledge Fields.
- Each organisational unit (departaments, sections, etc.) sets which competencies are required to perform each role, and at which level. It is also set a coverage level, that is, the number of experts required at some fields to carry out their projects.
- Then each person fills the competencies relevant to the profile or role he is performing in his organization. In addition, staff is able to declare other competencies acquired from other projects or jobs in the past.
- Managers revise and approve competencies filled by their staff, being able to get several summaries of the current status.
- Finally the system provides managers customized reports with different perspectives about the gap between current and required status, being able to take decisions and to undertake the neccessary training actions.
What it has been achieved with this tool is to refine a generic process of Competencies Management, discovering the impact that such a process has at different organization levels. It has answered usual unknowns about the best way to implement this process, which allows to maintain and share the staff expertise across the Agency.
In general, the system provides the following benefits:
- Fast and cost effective development of a tool by which to analyze different points of view and needs of all process actors.
- Automate the process to gather actual status information and to generate reports, becoming more transparent and effective.
- A set of lessons learned, technical documentation and recommendations to evolve the process to give more benefits and services for other centres in the Agency.